To provide a ladder of opportunity to underserved communities in Rwanda, as we proclaim and live the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
We share the hope of Christ as we provide financial services and biblically based training that restore dignity and break the cycle of poverty.
The love of Jesus Christ motivates us to identify with those living in poverty and be His hands and feet as we strive to glorify God.
Risk Management and Compliance Manager
Urwego Bank Plc is dedicated to providing financial services to the people of Rwanda. Motivated by Jesus Christ’s call to serve those in need. Its mission is to achieve economic spiritual transformation in the lives of underserved, using financial services and tested trainings as we share Jesus Christ’s love.
Urwego Bank wishes to recruit 1 qualified, competent and proactive Risk management and compliance manager to provide support the bank in
the field of risk management and compliance.
Job Title: Risk Management and Compliance Officer
Department: Risk management and compliance.
Reporting to: Risk Management and Compliance Director.
Supervises: Compliance Officers
Location: Home office - Kigali
The Manager of Risk Management and Compliance (RMC) is responsible for providing support to the Director of RMC on risk identification, analysis, measuring their likelihood and consequences, tracking them in SAT and monitoring and report on the efficiency and effectiveness of the controls put in place.
The Manager of Risk Management and Compliance is responsible for the leadership and management of both External and Internal Compliance units.
Spiritual Integration and Christian Witness
- Promote and fulfill the mission and vision of Urwego Bank working within a Christ-centered environment that is mission-driven, communityoriented and results-driven.
- Conduct daily work, make decisions and help Urwego make decisions in a way that witnesses to the presence, power, and love of Jesus and the reality of his Kingdom on earth.
- Coordinate with Business and Department heads to design, plan and implement risk management process for the bank’s operations;
- Provide support on developing and implementing the Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
- Identify material individual, aggregate and emerging risks that may affect the bank, assess these risks and measure the Bank’s exposure to them;
- Design and carry out tests that support the risk assessment of the Bank, as well as identify, analyze, describe and estimate risks affecting the business;
- Identify control gaps and, in collaboration with the relevant department, design policies and procedures to bridge the control gaps; and
- Assess product, compliance, or operational risks and develop risk management strategies.
- Ensure the Bank operates with integrity and in compliance with applicable laws including anti-money laundering and combatting financing
- terrorism law and regulations;
- Coordinate and ensure that Urwego’s Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) is updated to reflect current changes and risks are fully mitigated.
- Create SAT Binders for each Risk Category to enable Internal Compliance team to carry out the “Show Me” approach.
- Plan and prioritize risks to enable the Internal Compliance team to test controls functionality.
- Ensure effective monitoring of all Audit findings and Central Bank Off and On-Site Inspection recommendations including reports to
- appropriate authorities and implementation of recommendations within set timelines;
- Monitor control effectiveness in the business processes, comparing residual risks with target risks; design and implement risk reduction strategies
- Disseminate written policies and procedures related to compliance activities.
- File appropriate compliance reports with regulatory bodies.
- Evaluate testing procedures to meet the specifications of environmental monitoring programs.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports on both External and Internal Compliance activities.
- Prepare annual Compliance plan in order to ensure they are concise and informative, effectively communicate the findings and
- recommendations to the branch/department, division leaders and Director of Risk Management and Compliance;
- Assist in preparation of Risk Management and Compliance report for the Executive Team and Board Audit Committee as a backup for the
- Head of Audit;
- Communicate immediately all incidents to the Director of Risk Management and Compliance;
- General Duties
- Assist in developing appropriate Risk Management methodology/procedures and tools;
- Create and sustain mutually beneficial relationships by ensuring business owners are not disappointed, and/or confused with high standard service;
- Willingness to take an extra mile for the benefit of others and participate in staff-related social activities;
- Coordinate work, activities or departments, acting as the primary client liaison at the field, seeking advice where appropriate;
- Contributes positively to professional development and knowledge sharing in the department;
- Work closely with the entire Urwego team, backing up the Director of Risk Management and Compliance in absentia;
- All appropriate duties as may be assigned from time to time by Director of Risk Management and Compliance
Qualifications and Experience:
- Personal confession of faith in Jesus Christ and commitment to the mission and vision of Urwego Bank PLC;
- Sound understanding of risk management and compliance concepts, measures, and regulatory frameworks.
- Detailed knowledge of the three lines of defense model, and regulatory expectations of risk governance in a bank.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in a control, supervisory or risk management and compliance role within a regulated financial
- institution. Prior experience in managing and applying operational risk frameworks would be an advantage.
- Strong PowerPoint and Excel skills.
- Strong analytical skills, and the ability to write clear and incisive briefing materials for management and other stakeholders.
- Excellent written and spoken English, and the ability to communicate and challenge effectively at all levels.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to influence and effect change, in the second line of defense role.
- Eagerness and ability to learn about unfamiliar risk management and compliance areas, and to apply new concepts and tools in your work
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant subjects like economics, finance/accounting or risk management and compliance preferred
Personal skills and abilities
- Ability to consolidate, prepare and submit reports and correspondence on time
- Ability to deliver business goals and own performance targets.
- Ability to work as part of a team to achieve departmental objectives
- Must be a quick thinker and able to work occasionally for extended hours
- Should be able to work with minimum supervision while delivering expected output.
How to apply
Interested and eligible applicants should submit the following documents to Urwego Bank Plc Head Office at Remera, Umuyenzi Plaza not later than 18 January 2019 at 5 pm.
- Motivation letter explaining your suitability for the position,
- Curriculum vitae with 2 referee names,
- Degree Certificate, a copy of ID and additional certificates if any.
- Recommendation from your Church.
- Statement of Faith.
Only Shortlisted candidates shall be contacted for the interview.
Urwego Bank PLC