VACANCY FOR THE REFERRAL AID OFFICER
The Rwanda Bar Association (RBA) is a Legal Professional Organization that was created by an Act of Parliament in 1997 (Law N° 03/97), This law was amended by Law No 83/2013 of 11/09/2013, the law establishing the Bar Association in Rwanda, determining its Organization and Functioning. Having started with 37 advocates, after eighteen years the Bar’s current membership exceeds 1200 advocates. The membership is made up of all practicing advocates. as required by law, and the interns who aspire to be enrolled after years of internship.
One of the core programmes of the Bar Association is to promote Access (0 Justice for all in general and for indigents particularly through its Legal Aid Programme.
In order 10 improve its Legal Aid programme, the Rwanda Bar Association is seeking to recruit a contractual professional that will be mainly charged with the daily coordination. Administration, management, Monitoring & Evaluation and reporting of the RBA Legal aid Referral cases.
The Legal Aid Referral Officer shall report to the I-lead of Professional Development Services and his/her duties shall include:
- 1. Ensuring daily Coordination, management and administration of the RBA Legal aid programme:
- 2. Receiving and assigning Legal Aid Referral cases to contracted or designated Pro Bono Lawyers;
- 3. Ensuring the follow lip of the assigned legal aid cases;
- 4. Ensuring the proper management of the legal aid contracts between the Bar Association and Bar partners or between the Bar Association and Pro Bono Lawyers;
- 5. Compilation of monthly activity progress reports of the legal aid activities with emphasis on pro bono referral cases.
- 6. Preparation of quarterly and half-yearly progress reports (a synthesized narrative and financial qualitative and quantitative quarterly report).
- 7. Receiving queries from Advocates and partners concerning legal aid programme and submitting them to the RBA competent authorities for handling.
- 8. Collecting, analyzing and processing quantitative and qualitative data concerning legal aid programme.
- 9. Conducting preliminary legal analysis of referral cases or other legal cases submitted to the Bar by individual applicants or partner institutions,
- 10. Any other lawful duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director and/or the President of the Bar.
III.REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Interested candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
- 1. Rwandan by Nationality;
- 2. At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Law with proven experience of at least two years in the legal field:
- 3. Fair skills in projects/programme management will be an added value including Monitoring and reporting skills;
- 4. A comprehensive understanding of legal aid provision in Rwanda:
- 5. Knowledge of the relevant national, regional and international. legal policy on legal aid and legal education.
- 6. Strong analytical skills, the ability to present data in a clear and precise \a}.
- 7. The ability to work with strict targets and deadlines.
- 8. High level of writing, understating and speaking proficiency in both English & French while understanding of the other language will be an additional advantage.
- 9. Ability to analyze and make summary:
- 10. Good command in basic computer applications (word. spreadsheet & power point processing)
V. APPLICATION PROCESS
Interested candidates should submit their applications including contact details (e-mail &telephone) to the President of Rwanda Bar Association, located at Kicukiro, near BRALIRWA, opposite COVIBAR not later than 06 June 2019 at 11:00 AM. Incomplete files will not be considered and all documents submitted to the Rwanda Bar Association (RBA) cannot be withdrawn.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for exam on dates that will be communicated to them