TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR RECRUITMENT OF PROJECT OFFICER
Project title: Strengthening RUB at National and branch levels
Project Number: 171502
Duration of Employment: 4 years
Working nature: Full-time assignment
Working hours: 40 hours a week (08:00-17:00; 12:30-13:30 lunch break)
Duty station: RUB office (Muhima-Nyarugenge /poids-Lourd road)
Reporting to: The Executive Director
II. RUB BACKGROUND
Rwanda Union of the Blind (RUB) is a local non-governmental organization legally operating in Rwanda since 1995. It is registered with Rwanda Governance Board under the legal personality no 60/05 of 16/03/1995 to work towards the improvement of the living conditions of persons with visual impairment in Rwanda.
RUB is a member of the National Union of Disability Organizations in Rwanda (NUDOR). It is also affiliated to the African Union of the Blind (AFUB) and the World Blind Union (WBU). Overtime, the RUB strengthens and extends the scope of its activities by establishing branches in almost all districts of the country. Currently, RUB has 54 well-established branches in 27 out of 30 districts with its headquarters in Kigali City, Nyarugenge District, Muhima Sector on Poids -Lourds Road.
RUB envisages to have a situation where all necessary services for people with visual impairment are provided as a right of the individual and hope to see education and employment opportunities as well as all other welfare services being as available to those who are visually impaired as they are to all other citizens.
III. SUMMARY OF THE PROJECT:
The project" Strengthening RUB at National and branch levels "comes to consolidate and enhance gains made in the earlier projects supported by MYRIGHT.
RUB is the only organization of persons with visual impairment in Rwanda today. It is the aim of RUB to be available for all persons with visual impairment throughout the country. RUB aims to do this through outreach work by establishing local associations/branches throughout the country. RUB has been establishing and strengthening branches throughout the country, since 2003.
On the support of MYRIGHT, the envisaged new project, Strengthening RUB at branch level that will be operating in 9 districts aims to establish 6 branches in the remaining 3 districts: Muhanga, Nyanza and Rwamagana and to strengthen the ten branches already established in two earlier projects. This will help RUB members to gain the ability and confidence to participate in social and economic life at national and community level and to benefit more fully from the government program of mainstreaming disability.
The project program shall include: establishment of 6 new branches over the first two years and strengthening them in the second half of the project period by providing the appropriate training.
The project will work to strengthen ten already established branches between 2011 and 2016, through higher level training and regular follow-up and monitoring. The project will also support the rehabilitation of Persons with Visual Impairment (PWVI) at the Masaka Resource Centre for the Blind (MRCB) and to carry out follow up visits after the training.
Sensitization and training of local government authorities shall be carried out to support our efforts towards inclusion of persons with visual impairment. The project aims at reaching 400 people with visual impairment in the 9 district of Rwanda.
The project aims to work towards increased organizational capacity of RUB and participation of Persons with Visual Impairment (PWVI) in social and economic activities in 9 districts (Nyanza, Muhanga, Rwamagana, Nyaruguru, Gicumbi, Kayonza, Kirehe,Nyagatare and Rutsiro). .
IV. KEY RESPONSABILITIES
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Project Officer will be responsible for managing and coordinating project activities and applying strategic planning and systematic coordination of project activities.
Manage day-to-day project implementation and overall coordination of project outcomes.
Provide direction in ensuring that both RUB and the project donor are well informed about the project activities and goals.
Identify any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the Project.
Ensure timely preparation and compilation of the project annual/Quarterly Work Plans and Progress/Final as appropriate.
Ensure the quality of outputs and results with optimal monitoring mechanisms; establish effective coordination, monitoring, information sharing and reporting systems.
Represent the Project, as required and endeavor to build professional relationships with local, district and other relevant authorities where the project will be implemented in order to ensure the smooth execution of project activities.
Manage the transfer of Project deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials as per the standards of RUB procedures.
Administering the project’s overall budget; reviewing budget expenditure and ensuring that it is within the frame of the project financial resources, managing appropriate accounting system for the projects in coordination with relevant finance staff (finance officer/ accountant);
Ensuring that donor agreements are followed and adhered to
Ensuring that relevant procurement and anti-corruption guidelines are followed.
Ensuring the projects semi-annual and annual reports, final report and ad hoc and informal updates to a range of stakeholders are correct for submission through relevant donor structures;
Coordinating dissemination activities of project deliverables and results.
Perform other duties that may be required by RUB/employer
V: CORE COMPETENCIES
• Sound knowledge of the disability environment, vision impairment in particular
• Good team working skills and effective networking skills
• Experience in project management
• Strong experience with data collection, data management, analysis and report production.
• Ability to develop clear goals and prioritize activities and assignments;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others in a team environment and with people of diverse backgrounds, culture and nationalities;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, other staff, outside collaborators, including NGOs, academia, private sector and government departments;
• Advanced knowledge of internet, browsing, Microsoft Outlook and email systems, Microsoft Office, Spread sheet and Word-processing programmes
• Experience and ability to devise, manage and analyse accounting systems and budget management;
• Ability to develop, manage and implement monitoring and evaluation frameworks in project environment.
• Ability to follow and explain project cycle management, results-based management and implement necessary steps of these; preferably knowledgeable in LFA and logframes.
• Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office and Excel
• Spoken English and strong writing skills to prepare reports, project success stories and oral presentation. fluency in Kinyarwanda is of utter necessity.
• Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with both technical and non-technical staff.
VI. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Economics, Social Sciences, project management and special education.
• Minimum 3 years of relevant professional experience in project management, project monitoring and evaluation and relevant connected fields;
• Good knowledge of NGOs and other local development agencies will be considered as an asset;
• Familiarity with persons with disabilities especially those with visual impairment
• Good communication and social skills;
• Computer skills (Word, Excel, Access)
All interested candidates who fulfill the requirements can send their CVs+ relevant certificates and motivation letters (hard copies) to RUB Office located in Nyarugenge District, Muhima Sector, Poids-Lourd road not later than 30/05/2018 by 4Pm.
Done at Kigali, on 18/05/2018