POSITION TITLE: Communication Officer
REPORTING TO: Executive Director
OFFICE LOCATION: Kigali, Rwanda
CONTRACT LENGTH: 1 Year renewable.
AKA seeks a professional communication officer. The Communication Officer will help AKA in implementing marketing and communications strategies.
The Communication Officer is responsible for developing and implementing the long-term marketing & communication vision for AKA’s brand, which promotes its unique position in the marketplace. Responsibilities include planning, development and implementation of all AKA marketing strategies and marketing communications, both external and internal. Oversees development and implementation of support materials and services in the area of marketing and communications (hard, soft and electronic platforms).
This position reports to the Executive Director
I. Major Responsibilities
The role ofthe Communication Officer is operational and hands‐on:
1. The Communication Officer will drive the overall Marketing & Communications Strategy for AKA
2. The Communication Officer will, on the basis of the agreed strategy, devise and be responsible for the delivery of the Annual Marketing & Communications Plan.
3. Plan and Organize AKA corporate events;
4. Support AKA in developing, reviewing proposals content and developing new products
5. Review and edits all external reports and communication materials
II. Key responsibilities:
A. Marketing & Communication
An integral part of this position is producing content for both print and web, including brochures and newsletters, reports and proposals. He/ she serve in a support capacity for executive staff and include meeting coordination and production timeline development. He or she writes and distributes press releases, write content for newsletters including graphics and works to:
1. Reflect, articulate, and promote the mission, vision, and values of AKA.
2. Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing and communications program that will
enhance AKA image and position within the sector and the general public, and facilitate internal and external communications.
3. Manage the strategic and creative design of AKA marketing and communications activities and materials.
4. Manage the Marketing and Communications staff – currently consisting of a Web consultant.
5. Ensure articulation of AKA’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout the institution,
and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external. Uphold protocol to ensure a uniform
“house style” (uniform fonts, logos, pictures).
6. Develop, coordinate and oversee programs, technical assistance and resource materials to assist various departments in the marketing,
communications and positioning of their activities.
7. Leads special projects as assigned, such as proposal development, re-branding/logo development, mass media campaigns, public outreach,
B. Social, Digital media and AKA website
C. Media Relationships
1. Coordinate media interest in the AKA and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
2. To manage, and oversee all appropriate publications and communication materials, ensuring that the copy and creative concepts, conform to brand guidelines and are fit for the audience purpose.
3. To identify newsworthy activities and develop and evaluate a Public Relations plan accordingly.
4. To drive forward AKA’s exposure on TV, Radio and new media.
5. To manage any potential damaging media stories.
6. To develop strong relationships with key stakeholders in local media for the strategic benefit of the AKA
7. Pioneer AKA’s social media participation, taking an organization from a sporadic Facebook participant to an active and innovative presence on established and new social media outlets
D. Public Relations
1. To develop and manage Public Relations events for all departments.
2. To be responsible for leading on and coordinating national campaigns.
3. To establish effective recording systems for information, monitoring and evaluating all media and marketing activities.
4. To research and identify new opportunities and initiatives to be added to the portfolio considering market trends, competitor and supporter
intelligence and present business cases for approval, therefore meeting targets/initiatives set.
5. To manage the overall look and feel and content of the Newsletter generated and evaluate effectiveness.
6. To ensure the AKA brand is recognized on all leaflets, signage and promotional material throughout the organization is kept up to date.
7. To proactively work with all forms of local media to raise brand awareness.
8. Participate in stakeholders meetings and off duties networking events and produce reports thereto.
1. Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all AKA reports, publications, etc.
2. To support the team developing outreach programs;
3. To review of reports to external partners (including reports, proposals, etc.)
4. Manage creation and selection of photography for print and electronic communications
5. Create and coordinate production schedules and maintain ongoing relationships with graphic designers, mail houses, printers, and photographers
How to apply: Only soft copies are accepted. Those interested, please send your application cover letter + CV with 3 references only not later than 20 January 2019 at email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for written test and interview.